The Lee University Honor Band is an event for outstanding high school musicians held annually in the fall. Students are selected from numerous high schools throughout the United States, based on individual submissions as well as recommendations by band directors. Honor Band participants have the opportunity to play alongside the high-level collegiate performers from the Lee University School of Music and will receive quality training over the course of the clinic.
Dr. David Holsinger, acclaimed composer and the director of the Lee University Wind Ensemble, serves as clinician for the Honor Band.
If you are selected as a member of the Lee University Honor Band, you will be our guest for only a few hours. However, even as a guest you will become a
student on our campus. Therefore, in order for you to feel comfortable, please adhere to the following:
Casual pants, jeans, or shorts are appropriate for all Honor Band activities except for the Saturday afternoon concert. Tank tops are not permitted. Please do not wear hats during rehearsals.
- Members of the Honor Band may wear the appropriate concert dress used by your school.
- If you prefer, the ladies may wear long black dresses, with sleeves. (Please, remember that you are sitting on an elevated stage. Dress/skirt length must be considered.)
- Gentlemen may wear tuxedos with white shirts and black ties, or dark suits with white shirts and dark ties.
- Color guard and majorette uniforms are inappropriate.
Your careful attention to the following is absolutely essential:
Possession or use of alcoholic beverages, drugs, or tobacco on or off campus is NOT
Things to Bring:
- Instrument, mutes (brasses), valve oil, reeds, etc. Percussionists bring your mallets.
- Music that you have prepared for chair auditions.
Lee University School of Music Auditions:
If you are a high school senior considering a major in music, we encourage you
to audition for our School of Music while on campus for the Honor Band. Auditions will
be held on Friday, Nov. 19, during part of the scheduled rehearsal time. Please
contact the Honor Band Chairman, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are interested
in an audition.
- You should have a prepared solo and be proficient on scales.
- A brief sight-reading excerpt will be provided.
When: Thursday, Nov. 18, - Saturday, Nov. 20, 2021
Where: Lee University, Cleveland, Tennessee
Who: Outstanding high school band musicians.
Conductor: Dr. David Holsinger,
Lee University School of Music
(Includes Saturday lunch pizza party,
snacks, and Honor Band t-shirt.)
Chair Placement Auditions:
- Brass & woodwind - These musicians will play a short, prepared
piece or etude of their choice, a brief sight-reading excerpt, and
selected sections from honor band music that is included in this
- Percussionist - Chair Placement auditions will not be held for
percussionists. However, it is necessary to demonstrate proficiency
on mallet and battery percussion instruments. The audition time
scheduled is used for part assignments. This meeting will be in Conn
Center, 5:00 – 6:30pm.
School of Music Auditions
If you are a high school senior thinking about majoring in music in college, we encourage you to audition for our School of Music while on campus for the Honor Band. Auditions will be held during part of the scheduled rehearsal time. Please contact Winona Holsinger at email@example.com, if you are interested in an audition. You should have a prepared solo and be proficient on scales. A brief sight-reading excerpt will be provided. This is a great time to audition to become a music major at Lee University. If you have any further questions in regards to Honor Band at Lee University, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.