For over 30 years, Lee University has sponsored a one-of-a-kind college experience for academically talented high school juniors and seniors. This two-week program is an authentic encounter that prepares students to face the academic and social challenges of college life.
Summer Honors is a remarkable educational value! The cost of the entire program is only $980. This includes 6 college credits, books, lodging, meals, and activities. If full prices were charged for the experience, the cost would be around $3,500. Since the program is so deeply discounted, no additional financial aid is offered. Students must pay a $100 refundable housing deposit at registration as well.
Students receive a head start on their college career by earning 6 hours of academic credit. While outside of the classroom, students will experience a wide variety of social activities they can expect to find at Lee.
For the 180 or so students selected to participate, Summer Honors is two weeks to learn, grow, laugh, and connect.
To be eligible for Summer Honors, you must meet the following two qualifications:
- Be a member of the class of 2021 or 2022
- Possess a 3.2 GPA OR have a 24 (ACT) or 1120 (SAT) college entrance exam score.
Also, you will need to submit a letter from your guidance counselor or school administrator verifying your academic record. We accept the first 180 qualified applicants, so go ahead and make your plans to attend.
Summer Honors courses are uniquely created for this program and are taught by some of Lee University’s most outstanding professors. These courses are intensive, pass/fail college courses. Upon satisfactory completion of the courses, you will be awarded six hours of academic credit toward your college degree.
You should plan to arrive on the Lee University campus on Sunday, June 20, in time for registration, which begins at 2:00 p.m. Map of Lee Campus. If you plan to arrive by plane or bus and need someone to pick you up at the Chattanooga airport or bus station or at the Cleveland bus station, please provide the necessary information for your pick-up with the Response Form. Please indicate your flight number, date, and time of arrival.
Since you’ll be an official Lee University student, you’ll be required to abide by our expectations set forth in our Student Handbook. While the Handbook provides specific parameters, the following guidelines will help guide you during Summer Honors:
- Please be on time.
- Please attend all classes and all meetings.
- Please be in your dorm at curfew.
- No one of the opposite sex should be in your dorm room.
- Please respect the campus.
- Please understand that other guests will be on campus during Summer Honors for summer camps.
- Be sure to represent Lee University well.
- Please respect the diversity of student backgrounds which you will encounter at Summer Honors.
- While a student at Summer Honors, you will not be permitted to leave campus unless you are cleared to do so by the Director. No overnight trips—even trips home—will be permitted. If a student leaves campus without permission, disciplinary action will be taken, including sending the student home permanently without the opportunity to complete the program and a refund of any of the costs of the program.
That’s it. Everything else falls under the category of “Check with Your RA.”
- Plain, white t-shirt (for decorating)
- Bed linens (extra-long twin) & pillow
- Bath Towels, hand towels, and washcloths
- Alarm clock or radio clock
- One dressy outfit for a formal dinner
- 80s Outfit
- Spending money (optional)
- Coins for laundry machines
- Any sporting equipment you might want to use
- School supplies
- Anything you might need to make a dorm room feel like home for two weeks
- Laptop computer (They’re not required but are very helpful for completing assignments. You will have some access to campus computer labs.)
- Picnic Blanket
- Face Covering/Mask
- Shoes to get wet for rafting
- Clothes you don't mind getting messy for Greek Olympics
- Instruments, if you'd like to bring yours (e.g. guitars, ukulele, etc.) *This may be helpful for the Talent Show if you want to participate.
- Spaghetti strap tops or small tank tops
- Short shorts
- Bikinis or any other two-piece bathing suits
- Music with offensive lyrics
- Tobacco, drugs, alcohol, or weapons
- Clothes with questionable messages
Students attending Summer Honors are expected to adhere to the dress regulations applicable to all Lee University students. Hats are not permitted in the classroom, but basically anything else is okay. Outside of the classroom, shorts and t-shirts are appropriate. We simply ask that students be modest (not prudish) in their dress while at Summer Honors.
There are ATMs on campus for your convenience.
Yes. If you are a 2021 graduate planning to attend Lee in the fall, make sure we have your ACT/SAT scores as well as high school transcripts. All high school graduates will be given the opportunity to complete Advance Class Selection if they have not already done so.
Everyday we will have a general session during which we will make announcements, hand out mail, and get everyone on the same page for that day. If someone wants to send you mail, they can simply address it to:
c/o Mike Hayes
Lee University P.O. Box 3450
Cleveland, TN 37320-3450
Your last class will be over on Friday, July 2, at 3:00 p.m. After your RA checks your room and signs off on its condition, you will be given your dorm deposit, and then you are free to go. Please do not schedule your departure time before then. We will go over this checkout procedure the day before you leave, so don’t worry about all of that stuff right now. If you need to make additional lodging arrangements either before or after
Summer Honors, please notify us.
|Mike Hayes, Ed.D. VP for Student Development and Director of Summer Honors firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Rosie Adams, Director of Student Development email@example.com|
|Amy Hunley Administrative Assistant for Student Development firstname.lastname@example.org|