Graduate Financial Aid

Step 1: Apply for Admission

Step 2: Complete the FAFSA

Step 3: Complete the Federal Direct Loan requirements if needed

Graduate Financial Aid FAQs

What is the Title IV Code?

• Title IV Code: 003500

How do I apply for Federal Aid?

• Eligibility for Federal Aid is determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the Federal Processor.

When is it too late to apply for Federal Aid?

• Applications for Federal Aid may be filed anytime during the school year; however, the results must be received before the last date of attendance. February 1 is the priority deadline. Other applications will be processed after all required documents are received (as long as the file is complete before the last date of attendance). See the Lee University Catalog for more information.

How long does it take to receive the results of the FAFSA?

• Results are typically received within three to five business days after a student submits a completed online FAFSA.

Do I have to re-apply every year?

• Yes, however, if you are in the Department of Education’s computer system prior to October before the application academic year, then you should receive a Renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Renewal FAFSA has the student’s demographic data i.e. name, social security number, date of birth etc. See the Lee University Catalog for more information.

Why am I in verification?

• The Department of Education selects approximately one third of the student body to go through the verification process. If your FAFSA has been selected for this review, Lee University has the authority to request copies of certain financial documents from you and, if married, your spouse.

If I don't have a copy of my tax transcripts, where can I get one?

• You may get a transcript of your tax return by visiting the IRS Web site at and requesting a transcript OR you may use the IRS Data Retrieval tool by logging into the FAFSA. For more information, see the Forms page on our Web site and view the IRS Tax Transcript tab.

How long does the verification process take?

• The process typically takes 2-3 weeks depending on when we receive the necessary documents.

What aid, other than loans, is available for a Graduate Student?

• Lee University does not have any general scholarships/grants for Graduate students at this time; however, it is recommended that any student interested in additional aid speak with their respective department head concerning any private scholarship opportunities within their respective field.

What is the Grad PLUS loan?

• Grad PLUS is an additional federal Loan that can be applied for at

Where is the Financial Aid office?

• The Financial Aid Office is located in the Higginbotham Administration Building Room 217.

What are the office hours for the Financial Aid office?

• The doors are open from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters. We do close for chapel on Tuesday and Thursday. We also close from 12:00 – 1:00 for lunch during summer and school holidays.

How does a student get a work-study job?

• First, you must be determined to be federally eligible. A Financial Aid Counselor can determine this from the results of your FAFSA and your Financial Aid award package. Second, you need to contact the Student Employment Office at (423) 614-8699; they will have you complete an application or submit a resume to Third, the Student Employment Office will try to place you in a position suitable to your skills and qualifications. Fourth, the Student Employment Office will try to find an office that is interested in hiring you. That particular office will contact the FAO and advise us as to how many hours a week you will be working. See the Lee University catalog for more information.

Are there any forms to be filled out for Federal Work Study?

• When a student has been awarded work-study, a Work Agreement must be signed by the student and the department supervisor before the student may begin working. Tax information such as a W-4 or an I-9 Form listing two official forms of identification (state or federal) are required for first time workers. See the Lee University catalog for more information.

How much can be earned in the Federal Work-Study Program?

• Work-study jobs are normally based on 10 hours per week at $7.75 per hour. Total award for the year is $2480. See the Lee University catalog for more information.

Does this money get applied to my bill?

• No, students receive a paycheck for hours worked. They are encouraged to apply a portion to any outstanding school bill. For more information on student billing, you can contact Student Financial Services.

Can my financial aid be used as a down payment at registration?

• Yes. Student Financial Services requires a down payment of fifty percent of the school bill to be paid at registration. Financial Aid can be used in place of or as part of the down- payment; however, aid cannot be processed until the student’s file is complete with all required documentation. See the Lee University catalog for more information.

Can textbooks be charged to student accounts?

• Book vouchers are handled through Student Financial Services. A Book Voucher may be issued when a student has enough financial aid (excluding work-study and loan fees) to completely pay his/her school account and still have a credit balance. For more information, see the Student Financial Services web site.

Where/how do I pay my bill?

• Your billing statement can be viewed and paid online at Portico, or in person with the Student Financial Services (423) 614-8100 or

When will loan applications turned in at registration be processed?

• Because of the large number of applications turned in at registration, 30 to 60 days should be allowed for processing time. The time may vary depending on the volume of loans.

Other than the standard grade level Federal Direct Loan, what loans are available?

• Federal Direct loans in the amount of 10,250 per semester are available for full time graduate students. Federal Grad PLUS or alternative loans may be used to assist in paying for educational costs not covered by the Direct Unsubsidized loan. For more information, see the Financial Aid Programs offered on the Financial Aid web site.

When do I have to repay my loan?

• Repayment begins six months after the student has ceased to be enrolled at least half time. If a student stays enrolled at least half time until graduation then repayment begins six months after graduation. The student will receive Direct Loan Exit Counseling material from Lee University and will receive repayment information from the Department of Education. See the Lee University catalog for more information on repayment.

For more information, you can view this informational video-Repayment: What to Expect.

If I am withdrawing from all of my classes what should I do?

• The first step is going to the Hub. The second step is to go to the Financial Aid Office. Students are required to complete a withdrawal form and complete Direct Loan Exit Counseling on-line (if you borrowed Federal Direct Loans while attending Lee).

Sallie Mae Graduate Scholarships

This tool exclusively for graduate scholarships has 950,000 scholarships with up to $1 billion in resources available.

Graduate Enrollment Office

750 Broad Street
PO Box 3450
Cleveland, TN 37320-3450

(423) 614-8691
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST

Financial Aid Office

(423) 614-8300 or

Fax: (423) 614-8308
Monday - Friday 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM EST
Tuesday/Thursday - Closed for Chapel 10:30 to 11:30 AM EST


Lee U Marker Icon

Explore The Campus
Through Our Interactive
3D Map