Educational Specialist ED.S.
The Lee University Educational Specialist Degree with a concentration in either Curriculum and Instruction or Educational Leadership is a post master’s degree level program of study. The purpose of the program is to equip successful educators with the tools, knowledge, and understanding necessary to provide innovative classroom instruction to the schools and school systems of the twenty-first century. This program is intended to serve three related purposes:
- To provide professional educators with an opportunity to develop specialized expertise and best practice skills in the area of classroom teaching or educational leadership.
- To provide those professional educators who desire it, a bridge from their master’s level work to doctoral-level study in the areas of educational administration or curriculum and instruction.
- To provide a career path for classroom teachers to pursue the highest professional ranking in the profession: National Board Certification. Consequently, the Educational Specialist in Curriculum and Instruction will be organized around the five core propositions of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards. These standards are intended to produce professional educators who:
- Are committed to students and their learning.
- Know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
- Are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
- Are members of professional learning communities.