Held during the last full week of June 19-24, 2023, Lee University Music Camp is for students entering grade 9 through those entering college as freshmen. Music Camp offers an exceptional experience learning about and performing music that will enhance both skill and knowledge. Musicians will have opportunity for ensemble experience in piano, choir, chamber strings, band or jazz combos. Study in music theory and music history is included as well as focus on specialized areas of interest. Members of the Lee University faculty and visiting professionals serve as camp faculty. Camp staff is chosen from graduates or current upper level students of Lee University School of Music.
Housing and Meals
- Students are housed on campus in dorms with camp staff assigned to each floor. Campers will need to bring bedding and towels.
- Meals are served in the university dining hall beginning with Monday dinner and ending with breakfast on Saturday morning. Choices for special diets are available.
- Non-resident campers (staying off-campus w/relative) will be offered the opportunity of purchasing a meal card for the week. (Price for that is TBA but will likely be slightly above $100.)
- Information about other eating options on-campus and nearby will be available for non-resident campers.
Each day begins with an all-camp chapel at 8:20. At 9:00 everyone moves into a music theory class or jazz theory if on the Jazz Track. The remainder of the day is spent in a track-appropriate combination of rehearsals, music history classes, seminar classes, aspects of worship classes, master classes, or aural skills classes. After dinner and a free time, there is an evening concert and a social activity before ending the day with small group devotionals held in the dorms at curfew.
Beginning with Monday’s camp orientation meeting that includes a few brief performances from the camp staff, a concert is presented each evening. These concerts spotlight piano, vocal, instrumental, and jazz music and feature musicians from Lee University as well as Lee U-related professionals. The Jazz Track and Worship Leader Track participants present concerts on Friday night of camp. The camp large ensembles (choir, chamber strings, and band) present the final camp concert Saturday morning. Parents are invited to all the concerts except Monday evening’s.
- Registration Fee: $25 (increases to $50 on June 1)
- Resident (staying in dorm) Camp Fees: $595. Includes all meals, housing and concert admissions as well as activities and special events.
- Key/Room Deposit: $50 (Cash/check on-site only - refunded at approved checkout.)
- Non-Resident (off-campus w/relative) Camp Fee: $425. Includes concert admissions as well as activities and special events. A university dining hall meal card is available for an additional fee and strongly suggested.
All students selected for their respective high school All-State ensembles or MTNA equivalent during the immediately previous academic year are given a $250 Music Camp scholarship. This selection requires documentation and will be confirmed by the Camp Director.
A very limited number of $150 and $100 scholarships are provided for students with proven financial need. The application fee is not waived even if a scholarship is awarded. An email explaining the reason for the scholarship request should be sent to the camp director: email@example.com.
All campers will participate in one of the following ensembles: piano, choir, chamber strings, band, and, for those on the Jazz Track, jazz combos.