• Lee University

    Monday - Friday 8AM - 5PM
    Office of Financial Aid

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Application Process

    How do I apply for Federal Aid?

    Eligibility for Federal Aid is determined by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the Federal Processor.

    Is it too late to apply for Federal Aid?

    Applications for Federal Aid may be filed anytime during the school year; however, the results must be received before the last date of attendance. March 15th is the priority deadline. Other applications will be processed after all required documents are received (as long as the file is complete before the last date of attendance.

    How long does it take to receive the results of the FAFSA?

    Results are typically received within three to five business days after a student submits a completed online FAFSA.

    Do I have to re-apply every year?

    Yes, however, if you are in the Department of Education’s computer system prior to October before the application academic year, then you should receive a Renewal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The Renewal FAFSA has the student’s demographic data i.e. name, social security number, date of birth etc . . .

    What if my parents aren’t supporting me, do I still have to report their Information?

    If you answer No to all the questions in Section D of the FAFSA, then you must report your parent’s information. If there are extreme special circumstances then you need to fill out a “Special Conditions” form and schedule an appointment to meet with the Director of Financial Aid.

    How do I apply for the Endowment Scholarships?

    You can apply for them through the Lee University website, on the Financial Aid webpage, under Endowment Scholarship beginning January 1st – March 15th. You may apply for up to five scholarships.

    Verification Process

    Why am I in verification?

    A. The Department of Education selects approximately one third of the student body to go through the verification process. Once you have been flagged for verification then we are required to compare the information on the SAR/ISIR to other documents such as tax transcripts, social security cards, etc…

    If I don’t have a copy of my tax transcripts, where can I get one?

    You may get a transcript of your tax return by contacting the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 or by visiting their web site at You may also use the IRS Data Retrieval tool by logging into their site or logging into the FAFSA.

    How long does the verification process take?

    If all documents are turned in prior to June 1st, the process should take only one week. However, if documentation is received after June 1st, the process can take up to four weeks. 

    General Information

    What kind of aid is available?

    There are several sources of funding including Federal, State, institutional, private, etc. There are also several types of aid: grants are funds which do not have to be paid back; scholarships typically do not have to be paid back – but you should read the specific criteria for each scholarship; work programs require students to work in order to be paid; loans are funds which must be repaid.

    Where is the Financial Aid Office?

    The Financial Aid Office is located in the Higginbotham Administration Building Room 217.

    What are the office hours for the Financial Aid Office?

    The doors are open from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters. We do close for chapel on Tuesday and Thursday. We also close from 12:00 – 1:00 for lunch during summer and school holidays.


    When will Endowment scholarships be awarded?

    The student Aid Committee meets the last week of May to award the scholarships. All students receiving a scholarship will be notified in June.

    Are there any scholarships available for missionaries?

    No, but dependents’ of missionaries for the Church of God should contact the World Mission’s Department at the Church of God International Offices. Individuals with other associations should contact that organization.

    Where can I find scholarships?

    The first place you may want to check out is the free scholarship links on our website. Check local business and organizations in your area such as Papa Johns, Wal-Mart, Elks Club, etc… Guidance Counselors are also a great place to start for high school juniors and seniors. Also, the Financial Aid Office will send e-mail information on scholarships as we get them. Plus we have a few scholarship books here in the office.

    Federal Work Study

    How does a student get a work-study job?

    First, you must be determined to be federally eligible. A Financial Aid Counselor can determine this from the results of your FAFSA and your Financial Aid award package. Second, you need to contact the Student Employment Office at (423) 614-8699 they will have you complete an applications or submit a resume to Third, the Student Employment Office will try to place you in a position suitable to your skills and qualifications. Fourth, the Student Employment Office will try to find an office that is interested in hiring you, that particular office will contact the FAO and advise us as to how many hours a week you will be working.

    Are there any forms to be filled out for Federal Work Study?

    When a student has been awarded work-study, a Work Agreement must be signed by the student and the department supervisor before the student may begin working. Tax information such as a W-4 or an I-9 Form listing two official forms of identification (state or federal) are required for first time workers.

    How much can be earned in the Federal Work-Study program?

    Work-study jobs are normally based on 10 hours per week at minimum wage $7.25. Total award for the year is $2,320.

    Does this money get applied to my bill?

    No, students receive a paycheck for hours worked. They are encouraged to apply a portion to any outstanding school bill.


    Can my financial aid be used as a down payment at registration?

    Yes. The Student Financial Services requires a down payment of fifty percent of the school bill to be paid at registration. Financial Aid can be used in place of or part of the down- payment; however, aid cannot be processed until the student’s file is complete with all required documentation.

    Can textbooks be charged to student accounts?

    Book vouchers are handled through the Student Financial Services. A Book Voucher may be issued when a student has enough financial aid (excluding work-study and 1% loan fees) to completely pay his/her school account and still have a credit balance.


    Are separate applications required for student and parent loans?

    Yes. Both the Federal Direct Loan and Federal Direct Plus Loans are processed through the Department of Education but require a separate loan application to be completed. Also, each student receiving a loan must complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling.

    What is the difference between Federal Subsidized Stafford Loan and Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan?

    The government is responsible for the interest on the Subsidized Loan during periods of enrollment and grace periods. However, the borrower is responsible for the interest over the entire life of the Unsubsidized Loan.

    When will loan applications turned in at registration be processed?

    Because of the large number of applications turned in at registration, 30 to 60 days should be allowed for processing time. The time may vary depending on the volume of loans. During normal processing the average time to process is one week.

    Other than the standard grade level Federal Direct Loan, what loans are available?

    Possibly Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Federal Direct PLUS loan or an Alternative Loan. Independent students are eligible for an Unsubsidized additional loan (up to $4,000 for Freshmen and Sophomores and up to $5,000 for Juniors and Seniors). Dependant students are not eligible for this program unless their parents have been denied a Federal Direct PLUS Loan. The Financial Aid Office must receive electronic notification from the Department of Education that the parents have been denied. In which case, Dependent students have the same eligibility as Independent students. Federal Direct PLUS Loans are taken out by the parents to pay for their child’s school costs. Alternative Loans can also be taken out to cover the remaining education costs. Often a co-borrower is required for these loans.

    When do I have to repay my loan?

    Repayment begins six months after the student has ceased to be enrolled at least half time. If a student stays enrolled at least half time until graduation then repayment begins six months after graduation. The student will receive Direct Loan Exit Counseling material from Lee University and will receive repayment information from the Department of Education.

    Withdrawal Process

    If I am withdrawing from all of my classes what should I do?

    The first step is going to the Office of Student Life. The second step is to go to the Financial Aid Office. Students are required to complete a withdrawal form and complete Direct Loan Exit Counseling on-line (if you borrowed Federal Direct Loans while attending Lee).

    Vocational Rehabilitation

    How can a student get Voc. Rehab money?

    The student should apply at the Vocational Rehabilitation office in the city or county where they are from. Each state has different guidelines to determine which students are eligible, what benefits that they are entitled to, and if these benefits (money) can be transferred out of state.

    When will my money come in?

    Each state differs, however most student’s money comes in near the end of each semester. Check your account on WebAdvisor to see if it has arrived.