Secretary to Graduate Programs in Religion
The Graduate Secretary is responsible for assisting the Directors of Graduate Programs in Religion, the Dean, and graduate faculty in the School of Religion with daily program operations pertaining to Graduate Studies in Religion. This is a 12 month hourly position (40 hours per week).
Education and Work Experience:
The Graduate Secretary should have experience in an administrative office, preferably in an academic setting. This would include customer service experience. The Graduate Secretary should be proficient with Microsoft Office applications. Some experience with publication software, and record/data systems (e.g. Datatel) would be helpful. A Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
The Graduate Secretary is one of four secretarial positions in the School of Religion (SOR); as such, this person comes under the supervision of the Dean of the SOR and the Executive Secretary to the Dean. The Graduate Secretary reports directly to the directors of the programs and provides service to faculty and students of the Lee University community with the following performance expectations:
- Demonstration of ethical, moral and professional behavior in the office environment.
- A positive and flexible attitude.
- Effective communication and appropriate relationships with co-workers.
- Prompt management of tasks given by program directors.
- Maintaining confidentiality with faculty and student records.
- Willingness to respond to faculty needs in a timely and professional manner.
- Computer literacy with thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and related office software, including email.
- Ability to handle interruptions calmly and professionally.
- Ability to input and keep accurate records, compose timely reports and ensure reliability and completeness of information.
- Ability to accomplish complex tasks, prioritize responsibilities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to respond positively to constructive criticism, guidance and suggestions for improvement regarding performance.
- Act as receptionist for the directors and the graduate programs.
- Assist the directors as needed. Tasks include but are not limited to: preparation of semester class schedules; payroll review and revisions; preparation of annual budget proposal; new student recruitment; student advising.
- Assist students with application process, course selection and scheduling, and the graduation process.
- Maintain program central filing systems (e.g. master syllabi, application files, current student records).
- Manage program budgets, vouchers, transfers and purchase orders.
- Produce regularly required and special-request reports (e.g. graduation status, prospects, applications in process).
- Review and edit the graduate program sections of the university catalog and website.
- Assist with textbook orders to the Lee University Bookstore.
- Schedule, administer and type faculty student course evaluations.
- Maintain information in full-time, adjunct and part-time faculty files.
- Coordinate program events, travel and meetings.
- Monitor the effectiveness of personal and office systems and procedures, making suggestions for improvement when necessary.
- Purchase and stock program office supplies.
- Create and maintain social media platforms for the graduate programs.
- Assist with course creation, registration, and records for the international extensions of the graduate programs.
To apply, please submit 1) a cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) names, email addresses and phone numbers of at least three professional references in electronic format to Dana Crutchfield, Executive Secretary to the Dean, firstname.lastname@example.org. Application material may also be mailed to Lee University, School of Religion, PO Box 3450, Cleveland, TN 37320-3450. Review of applications will begin November 8, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled.